Lasers Offer Quick, Minimally Invasive Solutions for Periodontitis
Statistics indicate that up to 80 percent of people in the United States may have moderate to severe gum disease, known as periodontitis (source). This condition causes the gums around the teeth to become inflamed, eventually leading to recessed and shrunken gums, as well as potential loosening and loss of teeth. Unfortunately, about 97 percent of individuals with gum disease are not seeking treatment for their condition, according to the American Academy of Periodontology (source).
There are many reasons adults with gum disease do not take care of their oral health, including a fear of dentists, worry about cost and sensitivity to pain. However, gum disease will not go away on its own, which is why intervention is necessary. The great news is that laser gum treatment is now available, offering minimally invasive solutions for people with periodontitis!
If you're in the Atlanta area, contact our restorative dental specialists to talk about ways to stop the progression of your gum disease. Our dentistry is located in Conyers.
Understanding How Affordable, Effective Laser Gum Treatment Works
When lasers were introduced to periodontists more than a decade ago, it was evident that they would change the way dental providers could help patients with gum disease. At our specialty dentistry, we use the LANAP® protocol, featuring the PerioLase® MVP-7™ digital dental laser manufactured by Millennium Dental Technologies. The LANAP® protocol allows us to remove infected gum tissues within the periodontal pockets that have formed between the teeth and gums. We can use our laser to sanitize the area, eliminating the colonies of bad bacteria and creating an environment for soft tissue to regenerate.
Because lasers are fast-acting and thin in size – with a varied laser light pulse duration, a wavelength of about 1064 nm and a diameter similar to approximately three human hairs – we do not need to cut and suture for this kind of laser gum treatment. This results in less bleeding, minimal discomfort and faster recovery. In fact, most patients feel good enough to return to work the same day after the LANAP® procedure.
Want to take advantage of this incredible process?
We encourage you to contact our dentistry at 770-483-4469. We are leaders in the LANAP® protocol, and we are fully certified and trained in this amazing procedure. You do not have to live with the effects of progressive periodontitis any longer! Let us help you enjoy a healthier today and tomorrow!
What to Expect From the LANAP® Protocol
As a patient or potential LANAP® protocol patient at our dentistry, here is what you can typically expect from this advanced laser gum treatment:
- Before the procedure begins, you will be evaluated by our dental specialist. This will include a complete examination, including x-rays, which will help us see how advanced your gum disease is.
- Your LANAP® protocol laser gum treatment appointment or appointments will be scheduled. The LANAP® procedure takes about two hours to complete, and you may need two appointments on different days if your entire mouth requires treatment.
- Before the treatment begins, you will receive a local anesthetic to reduce any discomfort during the process. This local anesthetic will wear off shortly after the LANAP® protocol is finished.
- After treatment, you will be given directions regarding homecare for your teeth and gums. This usually includes specific brushing and flossing instructions, and rinsing with a special product a certain number of times per day. Make sure you follow the guidelines for maximum results.
- Our dental specialist will see you post-operatively in about a week, and then follow up with another appointment in a month or so for a special exam and cleaning. From there, you will receive periodontal maintenance cleanings every three months to keep your periodontitis from progressing.
Discover an Instant Difference in Your Smile and Confidence With Laser Gum Treatment
The LANAP® Protocol Provides Exceptional Benefits
The advantages to revolutionary laser gum treatment for gum disease at our Metro Atlanta specialty dentistry include:
- There is less trauma to the mouth and patient than with traditional gum disease treatment, which includes cutting and suturing.
- If you need restorations, they can be placed sooner after post-operative healing.
- The LANAP® protocol is highly regarded as safe, and is FDA-cleared to treat periodontal disease.
- The PerioLase® MVP-7™ selects only diseased tissues in periodontal pockets, and leaves any healthy connective tissue intact.
- You can go right back to your job or lifestyle after treatment.
- There is minimal chance of gum recession or tooth root sensitivity following this type of gum disease treatment.
- After the LANAP® protocol, most patients find that their gum contours look very natural.
- The LANAP® protocol has been shown to produce long-term success for patients with gum disease throught the country.
- People who dread going to the dentist or periodontist are good candidates for conservative laser gum treatment.
Our dental specialists are ready to treat your moderate to severe gum disease. If you're in the Atlanta area, call our office today at 770-483-4469.